Monday, October 15, 2012

2012 Pacific Internation Quilt Festival

Last week I attended the 2012 Pacific International Quilt Festival in Santa Clara CA. I went on Thursday the opening day thinking it wouldn't be as crowded as the weekend. I don't know what the weekend is like but it was so crowded it was hard to have the time to enjoy the quilts.

 
The variety of quilts was amazing, from a display of antique quilts (1800's to 1930) to traditional, modern, embellished, postcard size and International quilts.
 
This quilt was one of my favorites, it is covered entirely in buttons. Worth a close up view.
 
 
The next two quilts are from the International display. The first one is from Japan and the one below it is from Africa.
 









 



 

In looking at the pictures I took I found that I was drawn toward the modern/abstract quilts. The two below are an example, the top one is about pomegrantes, not sure what the bottom one is about, the ladies in the pic seem to be trying to figure it out as well.
 
 
 
 
I was glad that I went but have decided I like smaller quilt shows. This show almost overwhelmed my senses, there was too much to absorb. 
 
 
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Looks like an amazing show!
    My Auntie in Germany visited often and once many years ago she fell in love with American Quilts (especially the Amish) and bought several in the US. When she went back to Germany she found an American woman teaching classes, so she took them. She made many gorgeous quilts over the years, and each one meticulously HAND STITCHED believe it or not. She wanted to stay 'true' to the medium. Yikes. So much work. But such beautiful works of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately hand piecing and quilting is a becoming a lost art. I have a few quilts I hand pieced and quilted but must admit can be more creative piercing them by machine. The good news is that machine quilting is becoming an art, it's amazing what is being done

      Delete

I'd love to hear your comments and will do my best to respond. Once you enter a comment you can choose Name/URL from the list , enter your name, leave the URL blank and click on continure.