Saturday, October 6, 2012

Sierra Art Trails


Today I attended the 10th Annual Sierra Art Trails Open Studio Tour with my husband and friends.

 According to the catalog “Sierra Art Trails allows the visitor to meet artist, visit studios, ask questions, view demonstrations and see the creative process at work.”  This event is held for three days each fall, usually in early October.

There were 108 artists but not all of them were at their studio, many of them set up displays with other artists.  The mediums represented: Acrylic, Airbrush, Basketry, Ceramics, Drawing, Fiber Art, Furniture, Glass, Jewelry, Mixed Media, Pastel, Photography, Sculpture, Watercolor and Woodworking. There was something for everyone.

This is the first time I’ve attended and I loved being able to visit many of the artists in their studios.  What inspirational spaces, most with views of the surrounding mountains. I saw amazing Wooden Clocks by Gary Johnson that sold for over $10,000 (customwoodclocks.com), cool felted jewelry, and even Goddess Dolls.

I spoke to an Artist who uses found items to create her pieces. I pointed to one of her pieces and asked her what the inspiration item was in the piece? It turned out to be a squished aluminum can she found on a walk, she painted it gold and used it as the backround. Right…like I’d even think of such a thing, if I’d even have seen it and picked it up I would have thrown it away.

I highly recommend this event for any art lover.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments and will do my best to respond. Once you enter a comment you can choose Name/URL from the list , enter your name, leave the URL blank and click on continure.