Friday, November 2, 2012

Sierra Mountain Quilters Association

Last night I attended the Sierra Mountain Quilters (SQMA) monthly meeting. This meeting was much different from the Modern Quilt Guild, first of all they had officiers, but with a membership of over 100 they would need elected officiers. The meeting also had structure, first was a business meeting, then a show and tell and finally a small project.

I enjoyed myself, everyone was very welcoming. I think I enjoy the smaller Modern Quilt Guild better as it's easier to get to know people. However SQMA has smaller "circles" that meet one or two times during the month that I might enjoy. There were two listed in the newsletter that caught my eye, one was going to the beach for their November meeting and the other was going to lunch and shopping at the local quilt shop for their November meeting. Either of them fit with my interests, beach, lunch and shopping.

As you might expect there are some very talented quilters in the group and they are very proud to show their work.

 Here are pictures from last nights Show and Tell:

 
 
The quilt below was made for a new baby. The challenge for the quilter was the new Mom and Dad can't agree on the color of the nursery, gray or primary colors. Hopefully Mom will get her way with primary colors. The baby will love this quilt, the flowers are made from chenille, giving it even more softness.
 
 
 

Here is a very proud quilter showing her Fall wall hanging:
 

 
 
The piece below was made by a Quilter who works at the Tenaya Lodge in Yosemite. It is of the Headless Horseman in the big trees in Mariposa Grove. She put a glow stick in the pumpkin and used glow in the dark thread to give it special effects. 
 
 
 
This quilt was made by the same Quilter who did the Headless Horseman quilt. 
 
 
 
 
Here is a picture of my tablemates working on the project for the month:
 
 
 
It was a nice way to spend an evening.
 
 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments and will do my best to respond. Once you enter a comment you can choose Name/URL from the list , enter your name, leave the URL blank and click on continure.