Monday, June 24, 2013

Progress on my new rug

Finally got the pattern transferred to linen by tracing it on red dot and then onto the linen.

 
 
This will be my first rug that will actually go on the floor. You know the saying "never say never"?  I said I'd never do a rug to put on the floor, and look at me now.
 
First loops pulled:
 

 

 
And where I am today:

 
The wool I used in the middle of the pomegranate and the bottom of the flower is the wool I dyed with my friend E. It will always remind me on the fun afternoon we spent together.
 
If you look on the right side of the pomegranate, the area between the pomegranate and the orange leaf you can see the background I thought I was going to use, I think it's going to be too dark.
 
 On the left side of the pomegranate I put a line of light wool to see if it would work but I don't like it either.
 
I'm going to the Hooker Hill Wool Camp the end of July and am hoping that with the input of the instructors (Brigitta Phy and Susan Feller) and other students I'll find something that will work.
 
I've been working on my rug, going to water aerobics at least twice a week and I've started a Craft circle on Tuesday afternoons for the community. We've met three times and so far there have only been five of us. I'm hoping others will join in the fun.
 
Til next time, Ronda
 
 
 
 

 
 

12 comments:

  1. Wow, you've done a lot of hooking this week. My vote is for the dark background, the other colors really pop against it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose, You'll get to see it in person on Sunday.

      Delete
  2. wow that is amazing love the color choices. I have rugs on every floor in my house I will tell you the rug looks better after being walked on it gives it a look of history.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy, Thank you. I bet your floors are full of beautiful rugs.

      Delete
  3. I like the dark background as well. It will look beautiful, your colors are rich.

    Good for you for starting a craft circle for the community. 5 is a good number to start and it will grow. Summer is always slower time for things like that but wait till the fall, everyone wants to make something for Halloween or Christmas. Now would be a great time to get ready for the fall and Christmas crafts.

    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia. Four other ladies has been nice, I've been able to get to know them in a way that wouldn't have happened in a bigger group.

      Delete
  4. You might try an antique black - that always makes everything pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, thanks for your suggestion, I'll give it a try.

      Delete
  5. Hi Rhonda - I love it when a project has a history to it before it's even finished. How fun to have wool that will remind you of dyeing with friends! I've heard good things about Hooker Hill Rug Camp - I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. There was a gal in my class at Cambria Pines a few years ago who always goes to that one.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gayle, several of my rug hooking group, The Wool Poppies, attend the Cambria camp. I think Gene Shepherd is teaching at Hooker Hill next year.

      Delete
  6. The design for this rug is truly lovely !
    It reminds me of Fall and the colors you are choosing are perfect.
    Rich and deep. I can hardly wait to see this unfold. ;)
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose. Fall is my favorite time of year so I'm really enjoying picking the colors and hooking this rug.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your comments and will do my best to respond. Once you enter a comment you can choose Name/URL from the list , enter your name, leave the URL blank and click on continure.